Well I've managed to get back to painting again. Somehow I just couldn't get myself to paint any moderns and those have been pushed to the back of the painting table. Instead I've taken out the final squad of Paras out as well as the two half finished recon Jeeps that I had for them. I've also gotten started on a few Oldhammer Chaos Warriors.
On the Chaos warriors I've been trying to stick to more oldschool methods of using heavy drybrushing and washes to bring out detail and shade the minis. Worked out quite nicely with the Slaanesh warrior with the purple armor. On another hand the red armor on the Khorne warrior didn't work out that well and I might have to paint most of the Khornite warriors straight red without using any washes. I'll have to see how these start to come out. Progress is a bit slow as the minis are sort of "palate cleansers" to add a layer or two on while gathering motivation for other stuff.
Also I finally bought a new Airbrush as I've been growing a bit fed up with my Badger 105. It seems to clog up a lot and judging from what I've read from the web it's a "feature" on this particular airbrush. This is really annoying especially when painting small details. So I forked out some cash for a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline, which is pretty much the Porsche of airbrushes. I haven't had much practice with it yet other than trying to paint thin lines and shapes on a paper, but already it seems to be quite a beast compared to the old one. Precise detail seems a lot easier to achieve. There's still some things to learn as I need to change my paint and air pressure settings a bit as paint doesn't seem to go through as easily. Thinner paint and slightly higher air pressure should do the trick, but a bit of testing is still required.