Pages

perjantai 26. tammikuuta 2018

Roquefort Rodents

For 2018 I have a few main projects and themes, with plenty of Skaven, 40k and Napoleonics in the pipeline. I decided to start off with a soft start to my Age of Sigmar Skaven by painting up my Willy Miniatures Skaven Blood Bowl team that I had gotten late last summer from their Kickstarter.



These guys represent the first half of my team with all the core players and a few special linemen to represent players who've already picked up some skills. I still have all the star players, plenty of different mutations and all the supporting staff to paint up, but they'll have to wait for sometime while I get other projects going forward as well. Considering that a team can have a maximum of 16 players it could be said that I might have gone a bit over the top as the final player and support staff count will come up closer to 30...



These Willy Miniatures sculpts are quite nice, but the casting quality did let the minis down a bit with massive flash and some slipped mould lines on them. And the sculpts are clearly done by at least two different sculptors with the style changing quite a bit between different minis. The difference is already quite clear between the normal linemen and the special ones like the kicker and fat rat, but with the star players and mutated players it's even more pronounced.



I actually had the miniatures themselves painted up in the first week of the year, but ended up trying to do some water effects on the bases in the form of puddles, which caused some issues and a bust schedule. I'd bought a bottle of AK Interactive Still Water that I decided to use on these guys. And to be honest the product was quite a disappointment. The end result was quite nice, but to get there required way too much effort to be really worthwhile if doing large batches of miniatures. It's supposed to be usable with layer thickness of up to 3mm, but even with 1-2mm thickness shrinkage was a major issue already on puddles as small as the ones I have on the bases. All the liquid would pull to the sides and I'd have a massive hole in the middle.



In the end I ended up doing 5 layers of the stuff on the worst bases and 3 on even shallowest one to get the whole thing even. And with long drying times this whole process took ages to go through and I only managed to get them completely finished on Friday evening.



Another new product I used on them was Warcolours paints. I've had them for a while, but never really used them too much. There's bit of a learning curve to them as they don't exactly work like other acrylics, but rather have much longer drying times, are a bit gel like before thinning and are extremely translucent. But for doing smooth highlights and blending different paint layers they are just amazing!



My photography doesn't really show things well enough, but even with my skills achieving really clean highlights and semi-borderless colour transitions was easy to achieve. The paints definitely aren't that great for painting large armies, but I can definitely see use for them with heroes and some more special minis.

12 kommenttia:

  1. Excellent work mate! Lovly colours- skin and black shading are my favourite!

    By the way, in the future, he wants to do / convert the Dark Age Finnish band.
    Do you have a website to recommend? How were the tribes in Finland in the 9th-10th century, etc? :)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks!

      I don't really have any website to recommend anything like that. Clothing and culture wise they were pretty similar to some of the more northern tribes in scandinavia and in the baltics. Not as well equipped armor and weapons wise as Vikings. And not as stocked with fancier fabrics due to less trading.

      Poista
    2. One thing that you could also do is to mix a bit of slavic garb in as well. Especially the more eastern areas would have traded with different slavic tribes as well

      Poista
  2. Lovely figures, great job on the skin shades, they look terrific!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Really like what you‘ve done with these!

    VastaaPoista
  4. Info menarik dan boleh sekali dicoba, Makasih buat infonya dan sukses selalu.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Menarik sekali, perlu saya coba ini..
    kebetulan lagi cara tentang hal ini.

    VastaaPoista
  6. Kabar Baik Untuk Para pencinta Game
    Karena di Bulan januari ini Sudah keluar Game RPG Online Terpopuler Se-Asia
    Penasarankan Game nya Seperti apa???
    Kalian bisa dilihat game nya dari link di bawah yaaa

    VastaaPoista
  7. artikelnya sangat bagus, terima kasih telah membagi informasi tersebut

    VastaaPoista
  8. Hello there, You've done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this website. spanish american war service files


    VastaaPoista