Pages

torstai 18. joulukuuta 2014

Challenge progress

Not much to show for progress as painting motivation seems quite elusive. Rainy weather at nearly 0 degrees and less than 6 hours of light every day isn't exactly helping as it's always dark when painting time comes. Nevertheless there is some progress and I might actually be able to achieve an entry on Friday!



I've gotten quite frustrated with the Infinity minis. I wouldn't have thought that I'd complain about some miniatures having too much detail, but these guys are incredibly slow to paint if you really want to paint them up nicely. I've decided to put the PanOceania minis aside for a while as I messed up some of the edge highlighting and it'll need fixing. The Nomads are progressing quite nicely now that I decided to simplify things a bit and do some of the highlights etc. just by drybrushing. Trying to individually highlight every single tiny hexagon on the Mobile Brigadas armor was too much and I just decided to stop trying to imitate the studio models too much :) Only minor details left like the hair etc. so these should be finished tomorrow.

With the frustration building up last weekend I started on some Panzerschützen. 2 full platoons and company command are on the line with one platoon just waiting for a wash and basing. I'm planning to have the 2 platoons, command and their vehicles done by next week. Not too joyful to paint though as these are absolutely the worst Battlefront offerings I've seen. The moulds are really starting to show their age with horrible amounts of flash and quite messed up detail on many of them.

6 kommenttia:

  1. If a figure gets to that point where it is so stressful to paint, I say put it aside. Infinity are some high end mini's and are way above my skill level.

    I was working on a 54mm figure last year that nearly drove me round the bend. I stripped her twice and still couldn't get it right. She's sitting on my shelf of shame right now.


    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Normally I'd just put it aside for a while (or years...) and come back later, but with the challenge I've been trying to finish up a single subject at a time and not have 4-5 things going on at the same time. Still I did manage a combination with Nomads being finished and the PanOceania shelved :)

      Poista
  2. Hang in there mate, it'll all be worth it! Good advice from Anne though, taking a break and focusing on something else usually works for me. I've had some awful BF figures in the last 12 months. Some of them have had to be pretty much resculpted with a scalpel!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. These were the first really awful BF things I've actually seen. Playing popular armies seems to help quite a bit :) The old US ARP was starting to show it's age, but damn these buggers are on a completely another level of suck.

      Poista
  3. A shame about the BF minis. Considering their pricing that's something that definitely shouldn't happen.
    I can understand yourfeelings about the Infinity models though. Once I had a closer look at them as they have quite some nice figures on offer but as Anne I too decided they were waaay above my skill level.
    So I'm eagerly looking forward to your submission.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Yeah they are certainly quite steeply priced for 15mm. Or at least the vehicles are. Infantry is usually quite OK with about 20e for a platoon of 40-50 guys.

      With the Infinity I think keeping it simple actually seems to be the way to go. If it's horrendously hard to paint, then it's probably not that easy to see the detail either regardless of how good you paint. Maybe if they were the only minis I'd ever paint I'd be able to just focus on them.

      Poista