Pages

torstai 1. tammikuuta 2015

Year 2014 in numbers

The year has changed and with it comes the inevitable New Year resolutions and reviews of the previous year.


Last year was quite productive painting wise at least the first part of the year before the dreaded "real" life started to get in the way too much. Some projects were finished and many more were started. The amount of gaming has also increased quite a lot with more emphasis on Flames of War and Bolt Action bringing in frequent games, while the previous year I had mainly just focused on Napoleonics.

Something new for 2014 was also my first visit to an wargaming show outside of Finland. Crisis definately didn't disappoint with all the wonderful display games going on and all the vendors packed in the halls. Antwerpen was also a wonderful city and the sunny weather provided a nice change to the dreadful Finnish late autumn weather.

The grand totals in 2014 were 294 28mm figures, 285 15mm figures and 384 6mm figures painted. A lot can be told from the fact that over 75 percent of these were painted in the first 6 months of the year. A new job with quite a bit of travel and also increased gaming took quite a toll on my painting time. Also the hunting season in Autumn has a bad habit of taking away all my free weekends that could otherwise be used painting.

I was quite busy with blogging too managing to pump out 97 posts last year. I originally started the blog to just chronicle my hobby endeavors to myself, but now it really has become quite an integral part of the hobby and a lot of motivation can be gathered from all the nice comments from followers! So thank you for all the support you've given!

Last year I also managed to finish off some projects, which is normally quite unheard of me. My Red Devils force for Bolt Action could more or less be considered finished as there's plenty enough for most games. I still have a single blister tucked away somewhere that took over 6 months to arrive from England so that might still get painted as well. Another more or less finished project is my 101st Airborne Flames of War army. I have enough to vary my lists enough, but as with all hobby projects there's always room to expand :)

2014 also saw me get into a new scale with the 6mm ACW units. The original campaign dried up at the club, but now with the release of Longstreet we've been getting in a few games using those rules. I did paint up everything that comes in the Baccus6mm starter army, but got carried away at Crisis and bought an infantry booster pack to double the amount of infantry I have.

I had been planning to buy fewer minis than I painted, but I failed miserably. I especially blame Victrix! Those summer deals destroy your numbers easily as 60 figure boxes come far too cheap. It will remain to be seen how 2015 ends up, but at least I have pretty much all the minis I need for my running projects, so in theory there is no need to buy anything new...

And to have at least some miniatures in this post I present some of my personal favorite projects of the year :)









14 kommenttia:

  1. Great numbers and fantastic minis!! Happy New Year!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Some excellent stuff there! Happy New Year!

    VastaaPoista
  3. You've definitely managed to get quite some great stuff done! I'm looking forward to what you come up with for 2015.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks! Here's to hoping that I can be as productive this year too. Though with some changes in the family coming I'm a bit doubtful

      Poista
  4. Buying fewer mini's than what you painted. What were you thinking? Actually that's against the hobby by-laws and is a punishable offence.

    Blogging does really help one feel like there is more to the hobby. I've met so many wonderful people this way.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Yeah I know it was a daft idea. Almost like trying to break the Laws of Nature! Still the amount of shelf space that unpainted minis are taking is starting to be a bit embarrassing sometimes :)

      Poista
  5. Sound slike we had a pretty similar 2014 Samuli.
    Except that you painted more figures. Really lovely figures.
    And you played more games.
    So I suppose despite everything it was a pretty good year :-)

    Best wishes for 2015

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Well I'd say my changes during the year weren't as drastic as yours! Happy New Year and have a good 2015 too!

      Poista
  6. These were some of my favourite miniatures of 2014, here's to an even more productive 2015.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Michael! Very nice to hear, especially from a man of your skill level!

      Poista